Friday, July 25, 2008

Kung-Fu Panda rocks


I watched DreamWorks Animations' Kung-Fu Panda last weekend. What an awesome animated film. I congratulate directors Mark Osborne and John Stevenson on their inspired craftsmanship and imagination. I loved the opening sequence (Po's dream) so much I was concerned it would be too hard to top; the traditional animation (Did I hear James Baxter?) was sensitively blended with "invisible" CGI, in a way that shows 3D animation has finally grown up, and no longer exists just to draw attention to itself as a technological edge. The beginning felt a bit like Samurai Jack, but it very quickly took on feature qualities with rich palettes and very complex character animation.
Everyone seems to be very excited over Jack Black's voice acting in Panda, but my favorite voice performance was actually Dustin Hoffman as Shifu. His character is facing massive faith and interpersonal dilemmas, and the last thing it needed was over the top cartoon voice. Excellent choice!

2 comments:

Dipa Ghaghda said...

Spot on review Alex, Kung Fu Panda was a great piece of work, just seen it with a friend yesterday.
-Dipa

Liron Topaz said...

I couldn't agree more. This movie was excellent. Really really well done. I had high expectation from this one, and it was much better. I loved Oogway, such a rich and interesting character. Really felt like he was hundreds of years old, and not just acted that way, Really blew my mind. Of course, James Baxtor did an amazing job with the opening seq, but that's not really surprising.. :)